Tuesday, May 19, 2009

A Little History

Well, the picture behind my title pretty much says it all. We recently moved to a very small town in Western Kansas and bought 10 acres of what I consider "Paradise" from my Grandpa on the Smoky River. This might be a good place to mention the River hasn't ran in years, the only time I remember any water growing up was after Colorado received a couple 5" rains. My Mom was raised 2 miles up the river and we spent a lot of our summers "out at Grandma's" exploring and riding horses.


We decided to move from rural America to waaayyy rural America so I could stay at home with the kids for the next couple years and they could go to a smaller school. When I say small school I mean it, this is a 1A school/ eight-man football/ one teacher per grade/ 10 - 20 kids per class. I love it!


Soooo, our biggest project right now is building our house. Neither of us have any construction experience other than small things around the house but we're learning fast. We have already put up a 30 x 40 shed and planted 100 trees for a windbreak.



This last weekend our big project was setting forms for the basement and last night they poured the concrete, it was 100% a family affair. I don't think Stuart and Doug (the guy helping us build the house) could have done it without all of the help. Everything went great, the trucks didn't get there until after 6pm so it had cooled off considerably. I stay out of the way when they are doing the big stuff, that's when I become cook and photographer.


That's all for now, we're headed to Eastern Kansas for Memorial weekend. Then Stuart and I will lay out the insulation tarp and tubing for the radiant floor heat in the basement.

Tanna

2 comments:

  1. well i love the blog only put good picts of me love kriss

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like mom's comment... i'm so glad you're getting all these pics of the house building process. they will be neat to look at some day!

    ReplyDelete